A breast lift is a surgery used to restore the shape and form in sagging breasts. It is done by removing the excess skin away and tightening the surrounding tissue. This also helps in reducing the diameter of the areola, which grows with age. This surgery is also called Mastopexy.
Advantages of Breast Lift Procedure
Women prefer to opt for breast lift and implants especially to look good and enhance the personality. The breast appears youthful. It is a simple procedure with minimal risks and is best suited for sagging breasts due to:
- Weight fluctuations
This surgery should not be done during the below mentioned times as the changes in the body will affect the breast shape. This surgery will not change the size of breasts
- During pregnancy
- Unless child bearing is completed
- If patient wants to lose weight
Breast Lift Procedure
Before the actual surgery the following pre-surgery check up is done to evaluate the patient’s condition:
- Any medical illness/allergies
- Present medications/alcohol and drug addictions
- Past or family history of breast cancer
- Routine Blood/urine examinations
- X ray
- Mammograms before and after surgery
- Measurements of breast size and shape is done
- Skin quality is checked
- Nipples and areolas placement is checked
- Photographs of breasts are taken
Breast lift and augmentation is done to increase size of breasts. Usually, silicone breast implants or saline or structured implants are used in the breast enlargement.
Breast lift along with reduction is done to reduce size of breasts.
Breast lift procedure depends on:
- Breast size
- Breast shape
- Areolas size and position
- Amount of breast sagging
- Amount of extra skin
- Elasticity of skin
Some Statistical Data
This surgery has become very popular in the recent years and has grown about 65% in the last 10 years.
What is The Average Length of Stay for This Surgery?
The patient is admitted day prior to the surgery and is discharged the same day if complications are not found.
Following are the indications when a breast lift surgery is needed:
- Adult woman with sagging breasts
- Healthy physically and mentally
- Stable weight is maintained
- Shapeless breasts
- Small sagging breasts with less volume
- Flat, elongated and pendulous in shape
- Falling nipples below breast crease
- Nipples and areolas pointing down
- Stretched wrinkles skin
- Big areolas
- Asymmetric breasts in position and size
- Breast lift recovery
If the patient has any of following conditions, the surgery is not recommended.
- Active infection
- Severe cardiovascular and renal diseases
- Severe bleeding disorders
- Unwilling patient
- Patient is breastfeeding
Some patients may have a few complications during or after surgery. Proper guidance and expert team can help you to overcome those with timely intervention.
- Anesthesia risks
- Fluid collection
- Loss of nipple/areola
- Loss of Sensation
- Irregular shape
- Deep Scars
- Cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Repeat surgery
The recovery after a breast lift surgery is fast and the patient can resume normal life with some precautions.
- The results are visible immediately after surgery
- A support bra is worn to reduce the swelling and supporting the breasts
- Anti-inflammatory, analgesics and antibiotics are given
- Breast lift surgery results are visible almost immediately. The swelling will subside within weeks and the incision lines will lighten in a few months’ time.
- The final results take about 2 or 3 months
- This surgery is not permanent but can be maintained best if a stable weight and healthy life is maintained